If there’s one thing I hate, it’s censorship. Not the kind where parents tell their kids not to listen to explicit lyrics or that they can’t watch R-rated movies. The kind where the government or another organization attempts to stop the free-flow of ideas and creativity under the banner of doing what’s right and protecting intellectual property.
I, and the rest of the Internet, call shenanigans.
In lieu of blacking out today or even writing a long-winded essay about the evils of censorship and the damage it can do, I thought I would post some links to other writers who’ve posted about it already. These are some good reads, and if you’ve got the time, I suggest you work your way through them all.
- The ever-vulgar and insightful Chuck Wendig says it best: “Fuck SOPA.”
- John Scalzi changed his whole website (until 8pm tonight) to reflect his thoughts on SOPA.
- Wolfshead is as eloquent as ever when discussing how SOPA/PIPA affect free speech.
- Tesh sums it up: “Stupid SOPA.”
- And finally, something a little more lighthearted from Syp. If SOPA passes, Geocities sites will make a comeback. And none of us want that, now do we?